6.13.2011

Continuing to live the way LeBron James wants me to live

I must admit, I don't pay much attention to professional sports. I'll follow the Seahawks through their season and cheer for them as long as their season allows. I'll watch an occasional Mariners game. And I'll catch as much of the Stanley Cup Playoffs as possible. But beyond that, I don't care much for pro sports.

Especially the NBA.

Over the past decade or so, it seems the NBA has shifted the focus away from the game, opting instead to focus on big personalities. And while the sport has always had exceptional celebrity players ranging from entertaining to obnoxious, nowadays, it seems no one cares about the team - especially the owners.

A single player makes or breaks the franchise. A single player wins or loses the game.

No one exemplifies all that I think is wrong with the NBA than LeBron James. I will admit the man is media savvy and is extremely talented. Unfortunately, his ego overshadows his skill. I don't fully understand the details surrounding his move from Cleveland to Miami, nor do I really care. All I know is the manner in which he handled it. And from that perspective alone, I'm confident in saying that my six year old son is more mature and respectful.

Now that he (ahem, I mean his team) landed in the championship series, I've found myself rooting for the Mavericks. Teamwork slowly renewing my interest in pro basketball.

But then I saw this.

<a href="http://msn.foxsports.com/video?vid=947b28e8-9295-4e62-a191-e4f2311f0620" target="_new" title="">LeBron on critics</a>

This is LeBron trying (and failing) at hiding his anger and disgust. I'll take my personal problems any day over his.

No comments:

Post a Comment