I'm not sure how much of the chaos could have been negated. It's not like we didn't know this was coming. It's not like every meteorologist from every major network predicted a hefty winter storm. Oh, wait. It was forecast. We had ample warning.
So, here's a five step recipe for disaster in the face of post-card worthy weather.
1. Wait until there is 4 to 8 inches of snow on the ground before reacting.
2. Keep plowing to a minimum. Allow local traffic to melt, compact, and/or slushify the snow covered roadways.
3. Do not sand. Avoid all de-icing measures.
4. Spend the day watching feather textured flakes fall from the sky while temperatures hover at 32°.
5. Continue to do nothing to improve road conditions as temperatures drop into the teens, turning every paved surface into a skating rink for 4,000 pound metallic beasts.
ps: if slushify isn't a real word, it should be.