9.15.2007

how not to be a conservationist

Most airlines provide in flight reading material: brand specific magazines chocked full of advertising, travel tips, and destination focused articles. Every time I fly I bring a book or two to read. Yet, as soon as I am seated, I can’t resist digging through the pocket on the back of the seat in front of me to see what treasures I can find.

The magazine provided on my Horizon flight to Denver covered the explosive growth and development in the west Puget Sound area, a locale I spent much time exploring as a youth. The development along the Bremerton waterfront looks exciting, and I can’t wait to see it. The changes in Bremerton will be a must see destination the next time I am in Seattle.

Changes on Bainbridge Island were also covered in Horizon’s in flight magazine. There is a new conservation park on Bainbridge Island; it looks like a great place to observe native flora and fauna. And there’s a restaurant at the park – everybody likes restaurants! What makes this conservationist restaurant so cool is after you are done eating, they place all of your uneaten food on a scale to see (by weight) how much food you wasted…

WHAT?!?

Are they encouraging gluttony? I thought they were conservationists! By telling customers how much their wasted food weighs, the restaurant sounds like a parent lecturing a child about starving children in Africa because the child did not finish their broccoli at dinner. And wouldn’t they want to send the leftovers with you in a to-go box so that the extra food would not go to waste? Once the food is scraped onto the scale, there is no way I would want to take home the leftovers. It’s as if wasted food is destroying our environment. Don’t they realize that food is biodegradable? What kind of conservationists are they?

No comments:

Post a Comment