5.17.2010

My daughter's logic

Zu is an early riser. 6:30am, for her, is sleeping in. This forces me to be an early riser (which isn't a bad thing on days that I work as I'm usually up) because she will wreck havoc* without the supervision of an adult awake and alert in her vicinity. There are two things she wants when she wakes up: she is hungry, and she wants to watch TV.

This morning was a bit different. I was on facebook when she got out of bed. She tip-toed into the living room and climbed onto the couch behind me. She stood on the couch cushion in silence, observing me. After a few minutes, she spoke.

This should give you some insight into the way her brain works.

"Daddy," she said, "Say 'why.'"
"What?" I asked. I could not tell if she said why or white. Either way I was perplexed.
"Say 'why,' Daddy."
"Why?"
"Because the other kids are sleeping. That's why."

Then she sat down and watched the morning news. She usually prefers Nick Jr, but the news is what I was watching.

What was the purpose behind that conversation? What clues does that give as to the workings of Zu's innermost thoughts?

I have no idea. I was hoping ya'll could help me out on that one.



* One morning, after I had left for work and before Bekah migrated out of bed, Zu raided the kitchen and ate most of five bananas. In one sitting. On other mornings she's been known to dump an entire box of cereal on the living room floor so that she has something readily available to munch. I wasn't kidding when I said she's hungry when she gets up in the mornings.

1 comment: