12.12.2013

All Zu wants for Christmas

If you ask my kids to identify their favorite Christmas carol, you'll hear songs that are typical for kids their age. Frosty the Snowman. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Away in a Manger.

We play a lot of Christmas music at my house. It's my coping mechanism to help me enjoy the holidays. When the kids ask to hear a certain song, it's one of those listed above.

As for my daughter, she'll make the same requests. "I want to hear Frosty. I want to hear Rudolph." She'll sing and dance with the music, and when the song ends she'll sing and dance with the next. She loves Little Drummer Boy, O Come All Ye Faithful, Sleigh Ride, and The First Noel. She might even tell you one of those songs is her favorite.

However, actions speak louder than words. She enjoys those songs. But none of them are here favorite. After one particular song, she will sneak over to my computer and click a couple buttons in iTunes to start the song over from the beginning. Only one. Sometimes, we'll listen to that song three or four times before she let's the music continue to another tune.

That song? All I Want for Christmas is You.

And it doesn't really matter which version is played. Mariah Carey's original. Dave Barnes' bluesy take on the song. The modern rock versions from House of Heroes or Dave Melillo. Even more recent interpretations from Newsboys, Anthem Lights, or CeeLo. Without fail, she will sneak her way to the computer to hit repeat.

All I Want for Christmas is You. It is my daughter's favorite Christmas song. That is enough to melt this daddy's heart.

2 comments:

  1. My personal favorite take on this song is indeed from House of Heroes. I think they do more justice for the sing than Mariah herself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite version is the one that Maria sang with Jimmy Fallon, The Roots, and a handful of random kids... with nothing but kazoos, recorders, toy xylophones, and a ukulele for instrumentation.

      Delete