10.16.2013

Identity Part 1: Who Are You

"Who are you?"
"I'm Nic."
"No, that's your name. Who are you?"
"I'm a data analyst."
"No, that's your job. Who are you?"
"I'm a dad."
"No that's your duty. Who are you?"
"I'm a pop culture junkie."
"That's how you use your free time. Who are you?"
"I'm nothing."
"Who told you that? Your identity is in me. Your esteem should be found in me. You are my child worth more than you could conceive."

I can imagine a conversation like this between God and Jeremiah. God keeps asking "Who are you?"

Of course Jeremiah doesn't have the correct answer. "I'm Jeremiah. I'm just a kid from Anathoth. I'm Hilkiah's son. I'm timid."

He doesn't know his identity. God has to tell him.

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew and approved of you, and before you were born I separated and set you apart" (v.5 Amp)
"Do not say, 'I am only a child.' You must go..." (v.7 NIV)
"Don't be afraid of anyone, because I am with you to protect you" (v.8 NCV)
"You will pull up and tear down, destroy and overthrow, build up and plant." (v.10 NCV)
"Today I have made you strong like a fortified city that cannot be captured, like an iron pillar or a bronze wall." (v.18 NLT)
"They will fight against you, but they will not overcome you." (v.19 NASB)
"I am with you and will rescue you." (v.19 NIV)

When Jeremiah declared his weakness, God gave him a claim to strength. When Jeremiah admitted doubt and fear, God gave him confidence. Jeremiah saw anxiety, God showed him security. When Jeremiah said "this is how I see me," God said "this is how I see you." God gave His vision to Jeremiah. God gave Jeremiah value and identity.

What answer do we provide when asked, "Who are you?" Where do we find our identity? Where do we find our self worth? Is it in our jobs (or lack of employment)? Is it in our family? Our habits or hobbies? Why is it that we allow petty things to define us? Whose vision of us do we trust?

No comments:

Post a Comment