5.19.2006

dance like you've never danced before

As a wedding DJ, I think I've seen it all. There are a million cheezy dances that no one would ever admit they enjoy unless they are at a wedding reception.

Bunny Hop, Hokey-Pokey, Chicken Dance, Macarena, YMCA, Electric Slide, Cotton-Eyed Joe... All songs that no sane person would listen to in their own home or for personal enjoyment. But no wedding party would be complete with out it.

It is amazing the songs people request at weddings.

If you have a spare 6 minutes, check out this video. It's the "Evolution of Dance." During my time DJing for weddings, I've played everyone of those songs (except "Can't Touch This"). I've also seen most of those dance moves from various wedding guests, but never any like this guy.



"Dance, Dance
We're falling apart to half time
Dance, Dance
And these are the lives you'd love to lead"
Dance Dance by Fall Out Boy

"Let's dance for fear your grace should fall"
Let's Dance by David Bowie

"I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance"
The Dance by Garth Brooks

"The rhythms, the reason, the rhyme
of the danse pulses within everything
And the universe wheels and whirls like
a dervish in perfect seven-step time"
The Danse by Caedmon's Call

"I can't dance, I can't talk
Only thing about me is the way I walk"
I Can't Dance by Genesis

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:26 AM

    When Steve and I got married in Spokane we had a horrible deejay. He was so horrible, infact, that our friends and relatives still co

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's funny. most people don't think to tip the DJ. they pay $600-$700 and think the DJ keeps most of it. they don't realize that the DJ keeps only $80-$100 out of it. the rest goes to the company the DJ works for. then there's cost that people never think of with wedding DJ's: equipment storage and upkeep, office space, advertisement, and (a big one) they also have to pay for the rights to play the music.

    I did get occasional tips, but not much. My favorite was a guy who offered me $20 to play anything by AC/DC. the show was all ready over and I was tearing down my gear, but I still complied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That video was the funniest thing I've seen in a long while, thanks.

    ReplyDelete