1.22.2008

mixed emotions

There are a few celebrities whose deaths have hit me on some emotional level. Most were musicians: Layne Staley, Jam Master Jay, Elliott Smith, Brad Nowell, J Dilla, Johnny & Joey Ramone, Shannon Hoon. I seem to have a greater attachment to rock stars than movie stars.

Yet, today's news about Heath Ledger was a bit different. Heath was one of the few actors who I mildly respected. I'm not a "fan" but I've enjoyed most of his movies. There was something likable about him.

But I have mixed emotions. Tragedy? Yes. We don't need any more dead heroes. (I use the term heroes loosely.) Preventable? Most likely. Surprising? Not really.

I could write more, but the guys at To Write Love on Her Arms wrote an amazingly beautiful post on their blog. Please take the time to read it. I hope it encourages you like it did me. If you've never heard of TWLOHA, they are a non-profit organization that helps people fighting depression, addiction, cutting, and suicide. I would also encourage you to read their story. If you know some one facing these struggles, please show them love. It is the best thing you could do.

For those of you who are close to me, I don't say this enough. I love you. Thank you for reading for the last 2 & 1/2 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment