6.09.2007

animal recognition

Saturday is zoo day. That has been the thing that we have been using to keep up Chistian's excited about our trip to Seattle. This morning, Christian woke up and wandered into the living room, rubbed his eyes, and stared at his grandma.

"Hi," my mom said. "Did you sleep well?"

"No." Christian replied. He paused for a moment, then continued, "Christian go to zoo." For some reason, my son refers to himself in third person. That may seem egomaniacal in a grown adult; for my son I think it is more due to a lack of an understanding of the concept of self.

Regardless of narrative point of view, his statement was accurate. Today is Saturday, so today is the day we go to the zoo. And there are animals at the zoo. Christian loves animals.

Christian is great at recognizing animals. Thanks to the Brown Bear Brown Bear series, Christian knows his basic animals, as well as some more exotic animals (like macaroni penguin, whooping crane, & water buffalo).

This morning, while everyone was getting ready to leave, Christian looked at pictures of animals and trucks - one of his other favorite things - on the computer with grandpa. All I could hear was my dad asking "what's that?" with Christian giving his response in toddler speak.

My favorite exchange included an animal that Christian has never seen before.

"What's that?" asked my dad.

"Turtle." said Christian.

"No," my dad instructed, "It's an armadillo."

"Arma-turtle?" This is how toddlers learn. You say it, they repeat it.

1 comment:

  1. I often refer to Aaron in the third person as well. Typically though, it is to avoid work. Just think, Aaron is the who usually does this.

    ReplyDelete