6.27.2007

Organizing Chaos

There comes a point when you realize you are too busy. I’m kinda there. Now. So, before I go crazy or do something I’ll later regret, I must attempt to impose some measure of order on my life. I’ve created for my self one of my least favorite things: a schedule.

This posting is for those of you that KNOW ME PERSONALLY. For those of you who don’t know me personally, unless you are desperate for entertainment, stop reading. Check back tomorrow. If I stick to my schedule, I’ll have something posted.

For those of you that do know me personally, help me out. I tend to be an unstructured individual. If I attempt to stick to my schedule by my own volition, I will inevitably give up. Please keep me accountable to what I need to do – make sure I’m following this schedule.

Now, I fully understand that as a father and a youth leader, there are some things that are and will be out of my control, but to the best of my ability I want to abide to the following schedule.

Monday – Friday
*Work …. This may be overstating the obvious, but I have a job, I need the paycheck.
*Personal devotions… Keeping in touch with God.
*Spend time with Bekah… I did marry her for a reason.
*Some sort of “chore”… whether this is mowing the lawn, doing dishes, or taking out the trash, I want to feel like I’m contributing to the house. And it is one of the ways I can show my wife that I love her. (She’s kinda weird like that.)
*Write for my blogs… Doesn’t mean that I’ll post something, but I do want to spend some time writing. After all, it’s what I do – I write. Worst case scenario, I at least get some practice.
*Spend some quality time with Christian… and Kylee… Spending time with my kids is healthy. Especially for Christian. As he approaches his third birthday, he really needs some individual attention from his daddy.
*Walk the dogs… They need the exercise, though probably not as much as I do.
*Homework… I’ll admit it. I am a horrible student. If I plan on earning my degree, I need to devote some time to school every day.
*Watch a movie... I have gotten into the habit of watching a movie while trying to fall asleep. I'd normally read, but Bekah doesn't like having the lights on. I'd watch TV, but Bekah is addicted to Discovery Health - not my ideal choice in late night programming. I don't necessarily have to finish the movie, just watch one. I've fallen asleep while watching Bridge to Terabithia at least five times over the last month. I'll finish it someday. As a story teller, I am constantly looking at how others tell their stories, and I love movies with a good story. I am also looking for movie clips that I can incorporate into the Guys Nite Out Bible study that I co-lead.
*Youth group... Every Tuesday and Wednesday, as my work schedule allows.

Every Saturday
*A family walk... Bekah. Me. The kids. Fresh air. And the dogs. Can't go wrong.
*Devotions with Bekah... Our relationship with God is a huge part of our lives. It is what has held us together for the last four years. It is what will keep us together for many more.
*Play with Christian... This is much more than just spending time with him. This is play time - boy stuff. Hopefully I can wear him out enough that he takes a long nap in the afternoon.
*Work in the garage for at least an hour... When we moved in, we planned to put all of the boxes of stuff in the garage to keep the clutter out of the house. Then, as time allowed, we would unpack the boxes and get the stuff out of the garage. Since moving, time has not allowed. I want to use that hour to unpack the garage and slowly empty out space to use for music - a place to jam with AJ and anyone else who wants to come by and play.
*Homework... Not to say that I'm excited about doing school work on Saturdays, but if I don't work on it every day, I won't get anything done.

Every other Saturday
*Guys Nite Out... Ryan and I will be leading a Bible study for high school guys. Starts mid July. Not only will I be helping lead it, but I will also need to spend time preparing to speak, play worship, and do whatever else is involved in leading the group.
*PreGNO meeting with Ryan... Time to plan, prepare, and pray for the night's Bible study.

Sundays
*Church... A must. Unless I am ill. But still a needed part of my week. I've got to get fed.
*Youth staff meetings... Most of them are on Sundays.
*More homework... This is the downside of doing college online. You usually have assignments due on Sundays. It sucks.
*RELAX... I don't get to do it often, and it is the Sabbath.

Aside from that, our doors are always open. Unless we're not home, then they're locked. But when we're home, the kids from the youth group are always welcome. And in the grand scheme of things, my ministry is more important than any schedule. Homework can wait. Kids cannot.

OK, now that I've got it all figured out - don't let me slack!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:51 AM

    grandma

    How's "your schedule" now???
    do you have a schedule?

    ReplyDelete