8.20.2010

Complicating nature's call

This may or may not be a surprise to you, but there are people who avoid public restrooms. Be it fear or psychosis, some obsessive compulsion to avoid germs or a need to control their environment, public potties are a deathtrap.

To understand the reasoning behind this avoidance strategy, please indulge this vocabulary lesson.


Lutropublicaphobia: fear of using public restrooms
Paruresis: The inability to pee in the presence of other people (real or imagined). Also known as a bashful bladder.
Parcopresis: The inability to poop without a predefined or preferred level of privacy. Also known as psychogenic fecal retention or shy bowels.


Now imagine my horror when I step into the bathroom this afternoon to do my duty and see this poster covering the toilet side of the stall door:




I’m certain that the Mad Hatter is not helping any of the preceding psychological conditions.

3 comments:

  1. eeewwuuu!
    I'm absolutely certain my biological functions would all be "bashful" when faced with that face (did you take it down?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah! *shields eyes*

    That's just mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take it down? It's the size of the door. Where am I going to put it. And I'd look rather suspicious dragging a creepy Johnny Depp out of the men's room.

    ReplyDelete