8.17.2010

Where do you put the bean counters

I believe I've mentioned this before, but I analyze numbers for a living. I manipulate numbers, try to make sense of them, and explain them to others. I use those numbers to fix problems, predict problems, and prevent problems. I stare at spreadsheets and databases all day. Charts and graphs are my constant companions. Well... charts, graphs, and these three guys:


My world is the realm of data analysts. In the corporate world, that comes with some benefits (occasional free food) and a handful of stereotypes. Not all the stereotypes aply to me, but I do get excited after successfully writing a monstrous formula. I know, I'm a nerd.

One of those assumptions about number crunchers came into play today.

We've been changing some of the layout of our building; as a result I had to forfeit my relatively new corner (ish) office. I don't yet have a permanent home, so I am temporarily occupying a cubicle reserved for someone else (I believe HR, but I could be wrong).

A coworker and I were chatting outside my short term office when one of our maintenance staff members stopped by to ask a question.

After his initial query he asked, "Who's set up in there?" (pointing to my computer.)

"I am." I said.

"Who are you?" he asked. "You don't have a silver tag."

True, I don't have a silver tag. The admin in our company all wear silver name tags so that we're easily recognized. I should probably have one, but I've not received a tag in the past year and a half since I was promoted into this position.

"No, I don't."

"What do you do?"

"Data analytics..."

"You're not supposed to be in there," he said, "you're supposed to be in a deep dark hole."

No comments:

Post a Comment