1.19.2011

A few things

Got in some exercise, wrote for a while, and listened to some good music. All things considered, I'd call that a good evening. Now if only I didn't have to work in the morning.

But in the meantime, here are a few things that have been rattling around in my head.



I'm beginning to think (and the more I ponder this, the more I believe it to be true) that the pervasive issues in our country are only a shadow of bigger evils. The crappy economy, rampant racism, bitter and divided politics, under-funded and broken public education system, American obesity... They're all problems in their own right, but I believe they are only symptoms of something much worse: greed and an obsession with self.



Why is it that the people who think they're the best liars are often the worst?



What is driving the need within Christian culture to sanitize the Bible? I understand that when telling the story of David and Goliath to your children, you'd want to leave out the part where David chopped the head off the dead giant's corpse. But between adults, why do we try to scrub away the ugly parts of scripture? The Bible is filled with violence, sex, and people who constantly make mistakes. Why do so many within the church try to present it as if it's a fairy tale?



If you're not listening to Anberlin, you should.



If our experience with Christian's kindergarten had not previously ruined my faith in public education, Tom (Superintendent of Public Instruction in Idaho) Luna's new plan for Idaho's schools would have utterly destroyed that trust. His plan includes less teachers and larger class sizes, pay cuts for teachers, and continued slashes to the state's education budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment