5.15.2007

Eighth random fact - for good measure

I don't consider High Fidelity to be a great movie. Mildly entertaining? Yes, but only if you're a fan of obscure music and off-beat humor; that I am.

I can relate to John Cusack's character, Rob Gordon. Not because I am a compulsive list maker but because I am music obsessive. And like Gordon, I compulsively reorganize my music collection on a fairly regular basis.

Currently, I am trying to sort my collection by mood, but I have used many different methods of sorting. So here is random fact number eight: a short (incomplete) list of ways I have previously sorted my music collection.

1. Alphabetized by artist: I'm sure this is one of the most common ways that normal people use to organize their CD/record collection
2. Sorted by genre, then alphabetized by artist: Again, also common, although I have occasionally let my anal-retentive tendencies take over and once sorted by genre - then sub-genre
3. Alphabetized by album title: I do not know what ever possessed me
4. Sorted by relevance to my life: Also used by Gordon in High Fidelity
5. Sorted by quantity: I sort artists with multiple albums in my collection first, if I only own an album or two from a particular artist, they are sorted last. Therefore: Pearl Jam comes before Harvey Danger, The Clash comes before Simon & Garfunkel, etc.
6. Sorted in chronological order of release date: Newest albums first, oldest albums last
7. Sorted in color order: White, pink, red, maroon, brown, orange, etc... ending with gray and black; this was done mostly for aesthetic purposes
8. Sorted by listening patterns: any time I listened to a CD, I would pull it from its location and sort it and the end
9. Sorted by running time: Longer albums first, then gradually getting shorter in length, finally EPs, then singles. Tool's Lateralus is sorted before Fountains of Wayne's self-titled debut, which is sorted before Starflyer 59's She's the Queen EP.

I could go on, but I fear my psychosis is contagious. However, if you have sorted your music collection in a creative manner that is not listed here, please let me know in the comments section; I might be interested in trying it.

1 comment:

  1. I had heard about this... It is just a little scary. haha.

    ReplyDelete