12.17.2008

Songs of cheer in inconvenient times

As I walked out of my office this afternoon, our receptionist was gazing out the basement window watching the snow accumulate. She turned away and walked toward me. When she saw me she shrugged, frowned, and shook her head in resignations. I could tell she was dreading her commute home.

I've been stuck teaching inside all day, and I've been eager to get outside and play. My melancholic tenancies + distaste for all things summer = I love snow. So our receptionist comes to say "hi" with a look of sadness on her face, and I'm on my way out the door excited to go home. I can't help but try to brighten her day.

"It's the most - Wonderful time... Of the year..." I began to sing. She rolled her eyes, but at least she smiled.




And suddenly I was reminded of another time when song sung in defiance of weather conditions brightened an otherwise dreary day. After graduating high school, I (along with a few of my friends) worked at a record store in Lake Stevens. During an evening shift, a strong wind storm slammed the Puget Sound area - knocking out power in many area homes. (I still have yet to understand why, but several people in the store to rent a video had no power at home.) But our store had power! So, with it cold outside, gusting winds, and no power for neighboring residents, our store was busier than normal.

Suddenly, at dusk, the store lost power. I was the lone cashier, a coworker was helping customers, and my best friend Jeff (also the assistant manager) was in the back room doing paperwork. The setting sun and windows across the front of the store barely lit the register area. The sales floor was darkening even quicker, and the windowless backroom was pitch black.

Poor Jeff had to blindly feel his way out of the backroom search for the exit, and fumble his way out to to store area. As he approached the cash registers, he began to sing. "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor..."

We closed the store early.

1 comment:

  1. Those were the days at Encore! Remember when it was closing time, and we played "closing time" by semisonic? That store has a special place in my heart...especially since that is where I met Steve. :)

    ReplyDelete