3.31.2012

Of dreamers and doers

Jon Acuff once posted some of the best marital advice I've ever read: in most relationships there is a "Wow!" person and a "How?" person.

Wow is a dreamer filled with ideas to the point of overflowing. How questions the logistics of every possibly, methodically poking and proding dreams to expose weaknesses and flaws. In a successful relationship, How and Wow cooperate to bring dreams to fruition.

On most days, I am Wow. Dreams and ideas bounce around my head in abundance. Stories I'd like to write, places I want to visit, stuff I want to teach my kids, to-do lists I'll accomplish someday. Bekah is the how to my wow. She provides wisdom to my folly. She points out that which is impossible and encourages those dreams that ignite my innermost being. We're both fully aware that 0.01% of my fantastic ideas will ever see the light of day and I've come to understand what it means when she rolls her eyes in my general direction.

But our roles are not static. Sometimes, Bekah is Wow. The difference between us is that I am not her How. When she assumes the wow position, she becomes her own how person. She dreams big and seasons those visions with reason and logic. She doesn't just dream for leisure - she makes every effort to make reality dance in tandem with the possibilities she envisions.

That is her world right now. She saw something that was broken and she wants to fix it. She refuses to passively stand by and wish that things were different. She is attacking her dream and ripping it apart to piece it back together into something that is tangible and infectious.

Watching Bekah is inspiring. Other people are dreaming with her - by intentional invitation as much as a natural byproduct of associating with such a passionate dreamer. Not only do I believe that this broken thing can be fixed, I am convinced that Bekah is the person who will fix it.

She may be a dreamer, but she's also a doer. And I want to dream with her so that I can celebrate in her victories. I hope that someday you will dream with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment