4.06.2011

30 Day Song Challenge: Day 6

Day six: a song that reminds me of somewhere

It's a song that reminds me of high school. And not just the ordeal of being a teenager, but my high school. And not just the MPHS campus, but my junior year English class. To be specific.

Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings

That may sound obsessively peculiar detail for a song reminding me of a distinct place. I'll admit it - it is. But I remember sitting in my 11th grade American Lit class with this song running through my head. While my peers were studying The Scarlet Letter*, I was pondering how the line "The world is a vampire" was possibly the most profound five words in modern American literature.

And the song completely revolutionized my tastes in music. My high school experience would not have been the same without this song.


* Not to be picky, but SP's song Ava Adore would probably be a more fitting soundtrack to The Scarlet Letter than Bullet with Butterfly Wings. But I read The Scarlet Letter in the fall of 95 when Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was released.

No comments:

Post a Comment