12.25.2009

The 3rd Day: It's Christmas Morning

When I was a little kid, I had no problem falling asleep on Christmas Eve. Staying asleep on Christmas morning was a different story. My parents had our stockings stuffed and hanging sometime during the night, ready for my brother and I in time for our awakening. I would rise at some ungodly hour and stumble out to the living room like an intoxicated monkey.

My parents were weird. They let us open our stockings as soon as we woke up and I took full advantage of their rules. Presents had to wait, but stockings were fair game.

As early as I possibly could, I tore into my stockings with with the gentle ferocity of an F2 tornado. If it wasn't for the fear of what creative punishment my parents would inflict... I would have been the kid jumping on their bad saying "wake up wake up wake up wake up wake up wake up wake up wake up wake up wake up!!!!!" So instead I would fall asleep on the couch watching the Christmas lights on the tree and wait for the sun to peek over the horizon. My older brother was the next to get out of bed, and he usually found me asleep on the couch, buried under my stocking stuffers.

I'm starting to see that irresistible curiosity in my kids. They are early risers 359 days a year (there are six days a year they sleep in but Christmas is not one of them). And this morning I saw the same eagerness to tear into the gifts and stockings that I once possessed. The stalking look of a lion about to pounce on a gazelle was too familiar. Today's song is in honor of that excitement.

Song: You Gotta Get Up
Artist: Five Iron Frenzy
Album: Happy Christmas

You gotta get up, it's Christmas morning.



And (since I missed posting yesterday) You're getting a bonus song. It is one you have to see to believe. And a big hat tip to my brother-in-law for finding the video. In other words, if you're reading this on facebook, click on the "View Original Post" link.

No comments:

Post a Comment