12.23.2009

On the fifth day of Christmas I completely lost my mind

This morning, an observation struck me like I was the final player on a losing dodgeball team. With the exception of the first song I posted a week ago, my 12 songs of Christmas series has been a six song string of moody down-tempo ditties. I sure know how to get a party going - talk about a joy killer.

Have you had your fill of bittersweet music? I have. At least for now. I need a faster tempo. I need silliness. I declare that tonight we have some fun.

Song: Come On! Let's Boogey to the Elf Dance!*
Artist: Sufjan Stevens
Album: Songs for Christmas**

Prepare yourself for pure, unashamed, goofiness. It is full of whimsical.***



*Gentle reminder: If you're reading this via facebook's notes, you need to click on the link that says "View Original Post" if you want to watch the video/hear the song. (for some weird reason YouTube videos do not survive the Blogger to facebook importing process)

** You really should get this collection. The traditional carols (O Come O Come Emmanuel, We Three Kings) and hymns (Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, Amazing Grace)are soulful and charming; they could melt a snowman's heart. Yet the serious is offset by wholly original tunes like the Elf Dance above. Besides, with song titles like Get Behind Me Santa, Did I Make You Cry On Christmas Day? (Well, You Deserved It!) and Holy Holy Etc... you can't go wrong.

** Like how I used an adjective as a noun? I know, I'm full of awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment