9.22.2010

Eight Questions

My sister-in-law has a delightful blog in which she dispenses the the wisdom of both a starving artist and a coffee bar barista. It might not be much of a surprise that she earns her living as a barista while waiting for her first novel to finish it's journey into publication.

In a recent post, she completed a meme demanding answers to eight completely random questions. Rather than following the rules requiring her to tag eight bloggers to repeat her feat, she tagged all of her followers. As a loyal follower, and as a blogger who used the word "random" it the name of my blog... I feel it my duty to continue the thread.

If you are compelled to compile your own answers, please leave a note and/or link in the comments so that I can enjoy your little piece of randomness.


* * * * * *

1. If you could have a superpower, what would you have? Why?

This is difficult for me to narrow down as there are three I would pick (if choices were permitted). These are also three wishes I would propose to a genie if genies were real and I happened to rub it's lamp. 1) the ability to imitate any voice, 2) the skill to play any sport at a professional level, 3) the ability to play any song on any instrument by ear. If I had to pick one and only one, I'd select the third option

2. Who is your style icon?

Think Ben and Matt in Good Will Hunting... with Robin Williams beard.



3. What is your favorite quote?

There are so many to choose from, and my favorite probably changes daily. (you can see a good smattering in the "Voices in My Head" section in the sidebar to your right).

Currently, I'm digging this nugget from Fred Rogers: "Life is deep and simple, and what society gives us is shallow and complicated." My all time favorite, I've posted before and you can find it HERE.

4. What is the best compliment you've ever received?

The best compliments are often ones that you don't fully believe, and there is one that my wife regularly drops on me. It's not that I don't trust her opinion, but more that her opinion of me is often higher than my self-diagnosis. "You are a good dad."

It means the world to me to hear her say that.

5. What playlist/cd is on your ipod/cd player right now?

So... much...

I've been listening to a lot of Ben Folds lately. And some Stabbing Westward. And Boyce Avenue. And Desperation Band.

6. Are you a night owl or a morning person?

I'm a night owl. Unfortunately, my daughter is a morning person. And my wife is less of a morning person than I so I am forced to be both.

7. Do you prefer dogs or cats?

Dogs. Without question. I like other people's cats as long as they don't scratch. Or walk on my car after it's been washed. And I refuse to own them.

8. What is the meaning behind your blog name?

Hopefully it's self explanatory, but in case I mistakenly left any room for misinterpretation, lets use the dictionary.

Rants: extravagant speech or declamations.
Raves: enthusiastic or delirious talk
Random: made without aim, reason, or pattern
Thoughts: the result of metal activity.

Point being, I have brain waves that I believe deserve extravagant or enthusiastic expression. It is my own slice of narcissism. However, my proof of functioning grey matter is rarely displayed with any sense of aim, reason, or pattern. It's how I roll. I am also fascinated by alliteration. Therefore: three R's.

1 comment:

  1. You are a good dad. And I LOVE the Fred Rodgers quote. :)

    ReplyDelete